In addressing the wicked problems of the 21st century, including new and emerging challenges to the resilience of our built environments, an interdisciplinary approach to complexity and uncertainty is vital in the drive to develop innovative modern solutions. It is time to provide a more serious response to the many of the crises our cities are facing globally.
We are excited to announce that the ISRM Centre for the Study of Wicked Problems is launching the 2024 Global Urban Resilience Project to offer a framework for academic research and policy-development that can help stakeholders from around the world model, prepare for and engage with the critical challenges that we will be facing in the coming years.
The launch virtual conference will bring together leading global expertise and thought leadership for a wide-ranging series of discussions on the opportunities and challenges that we face in 2024 and beyond. It will serve as a platform for discussion on tackling modern wicked problems and the evolving nature of urban resilience in the 21st century. By joining you will be a part of the solution, and part of the discussion around the wicked problems of our time.
- Tuesday 20th February, 10:00 – 11:30 /GMT/
- Setting the Scene: Concept and Reality
- Introductory address, presentation of our vision and concept, and discussion on Wicked problems and the Urban Resilience needs of our time.
- Tuesday 20th February, 16:00 – 17:30 /GMT/
- Cities Underwater, Cities On Fire – Dealing with the realities of global warming and climate change
- Panel discussion related to challenges related to the Resilience of our cities in relation to rising sea levels, supply chain issues, food production, pollution and adaptation.
- Wednesday 21st February 2024, 10:00 – 11:30 /GMT/
- Lessons From The Global South
- Panel discussion related to the experiences of cities in the Global south. The fastest growing urban centres of today are in the global south, and we can learn much from their challenges and solutions.
- Wednesday 21st February 2024 16:00 – 17:30 /GMT/
- Disaster-Proofing City Management
- Panel discussion related to preparing cities to anticipate and effectively manage complex disasters of all kinds, in order to ensure Resilience even in emergency situations.
- Thursday 22nd of February 2024 , 10:00 – 11:30 /GMT/
- Keeping It Going: Planning and Management of City Infrastructure
- Panel discussion related to structural resilience and infrastructure developments in contemporary cities, as the infrastructure tomorrow must be developed in way that makes cities more resilient in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Thursday 22nd February, 16:00 – 17:30 /GMT/
- Beyond Imagination: The City of 2050
- Panel discussion related to Imagining the cities of tomorrow and the obstacles they need to overcome, as well which practices they could implement in order to be able to resist the challenges brought by Wicked Problems.